The Moran- Marmaton/ Osage Fire
Department is currently made up of 12
Volunteers. They meet the first
Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm for their regular meeting as well as the third
Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm for a training night. They have completed many hours of training in and out of Allen County. They cover an area of 107 square miles, from Iowa Road to the Wyoming Road and from 3400 Road to 5000 Road. The Department houses a 1995 GMC Pumper along with two Rural Brush Trucks, the department just received a 2.5 ton water hauling truck from the Kansas Department of Forestry.
FIRE SAFETY TIPS
For families grilling in the backyard this summer, the Moran Fire Department suggests the following tips to keep your family and home safe. Grills should be placed well away from houses, bushes, and other objects. Grills should never be used indoors or inside an unventilated area, as doing so would be both a carbon monoxide poisoning risk and a fire hazard. When grilling over charcoal, only use starter fluid developed specifically for barbecue grills. Before starting a gas grill, confirm that the link between the propane tank and the fuel line is operating correctly and not leaking. If a leak is suspected, turn off the gas immediately. Do not use the grill until the leak is fixed. Never use a match to hunt for leaks. Long-handled tools and barbeque mitts are good protection against contact burns. Children and pets should be kept away from the grill until the equipment has fully cooled.
You also want to make sure you are using proper tools to clean your grill. You want to stay away from using a wire bristled brush, if a bristle gets left behind on your grill it can possibly become stuck in your throat if it gets stuck to your food. That could lead to surgery and possible infection. The following are other ways to clean your BBQ without having to risk ending up in the hospital.
* Warm up the grill to loosen all the grime. Used tin foil crumpled into a ball and using tongs to hot it, wipe the grill up and down.
* Take half an onion and dip it in olive oil. Using tongs, wipes the grill down.
* Use a steam brush or wooden brush.
* Use a grilling mat.
All of these tips will help you have a safe and tasty BBQ season!
Remember to check your smoke detector batteries at least once per month and change them every six months to make sure they are working properly. Although most American homes have smoke detectors, a large number of them do not work, primarily due to dead or missing batteries. Working smoke detectors cut the risk of dying in a home fire nearly in half.
The Moran Police Department is a full
service agency consisting of Patrol,
Investigations, Residential Security Checks,
Community Resource, Animal Control,
VIN Inspections, Records, and Court Services.
The department is all under the direction of the Chief Shane Smith. Business Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Contact the Moran Police Department at 620-237-4721.
POLICE SAFETY TIPS
Remember your pets in the Summer Time
Summer time humidity and high temperatures are just around the corner. These weather conditions require extra care for your outdoor pets. Never leave an animal in your vehicle, as temperatures inside a vehicle can reach well over 120 degrees in a matter of minutes. Be alert to the signs of heat exhaustion. Look for excessive panting or general lethargy, which may be signs your dog is overheated. Always be certain outdoor pets have access to plenty of shade and fresh water.
Moran City Code 8-402(e) Moran enforces grass height regulations on properties within the City limits. Maximum grass and weed height it 12 inches. Notice of violation is given ONCE at the beginning of each growing season. Should the property owner not comply within one week of the notice, the City will mow the property at a cost of $100.00 per hour, with a minimum charge of $100.00 which will be charged to the property owner. Please do not mow grass clippings onto roadways~ (This includes alleys, streets, and Highways 54 & 59) Doing so can lead to a breakdown of the road surface as the clippings decompose. Grass seed establishes roots in crevices of the surface, causing more damage by expanding the crevices as the grass grows. When mowing your lawn, please start by making several passes so that clippings are blown back into your yard. This will prevent clippings in the roadway.